Sunday, May 20, 2012

What would you say?

Life can be so strange. In the past week one of my absolute favorite teachers from High School passed away from cancer. She was a inspiration to all that she knew or came in contact with. I loved her dearly, she was more than a teacher she was a friend, someone we all felt comfortable talking to or asking advice from. I attended her funeral and in the process this thought came into  my head, what would people have to say about me if I died today? That is a life changing question. Most the time at funerals everyone recalls all the best attributes about that person and how much they will miss them, but why do we as humans wait until they are gone to tell them what they mean to us?
It seems so easy to gossip, or same something ugly about someone instead of focusing on their good attributes. I have made it my goal to do that more often. To tell those around me that I love and appreciate them. To try to not say something ugly even in a fit of anger or emotion. Like my grandmother always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
I hope when I die, whenever that may be, that those who attend my funeral can say that about me. That I was the type of person who looked for the good in everyone I came in contact with. Its hard not to complain or fuss. I myself am a very emotional person so a lot of times I react instead of think first.
We should all strive to see the best in each other and try to magnify that instead of constantly bringing up the unfavorable attributes of someone. Trust me I know that is easier said than done.
As a mother, I want my daughter to be cautious of people in the world, but also to abide by the golden rule. Treat others as you want to be treated. It can be the most challenging part of life, to love your enemy, to be kind to those who hurt you or lied to you. In the end you are the better person, you have a clear conscience and you will be able to sleep at night knowing you tried to be a good person.

No comments:

Post a Comment