Sunday, March 25, 2012

Senses Recreate Memories

Have you ever noticed that a smell, or a song can almost take you back in time to a certain memory? As I was driving today I had my window rolled down right before a storm and my car filled with the smell of magnolias. Which in turn took me back to when I was a little girl and my grandmother had a huge magnolia tree in the front yard. I realized that even when we think we have forgotten something, that our senses have a way of reminding us. I miss my grandmother terribly. She was a huge part of my life, which is why my daughter is named after her. This experience started me thinking, can we restart emotions too? For the longest time I had bottled up every emotion I felt, so now that I am changing and open to the world, will those emotions be recreated or re channeled? If a sense can remind us of things, can someone recreate emotions that we thought were lost? One look, or a phrase or a compliment can also recreate a emotion that you had blocked away or thought was lost. Our mind is so fascinating, I had started to believe that I had forgotten a lot of memories, of people and places that have gone. But after today I realized I didn't forget I just stored them away until I need them. When I am feeling down, or unsure those memories, emotions, love that has left a impression on my heart forever will always be there, even if I am not consciously aware they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment