Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Observation and Reason

Recently I have been away on a business trip for work. As a 29 year old young professional and a women in a field that is becoming predominately women I have noticed some very disturbing facts since observing my surroundings. I was sitting alone at a restaurant eating my meal, which anytime a women is eating alone for some reason they want to stick us in the bar, why? After sitting for a while I noticed that the majority of people in the bar with me were over 40 Caucasian, balding business men. Where are the business women? Also noticed while packing my vehicle to leave, groups of men on business trips I can only assume due to the collar shirts and briefcases. I felt like I had time traveled back to the 1920s. With all the advancement woman have made in the professional fields today in 2012, it seems to me that men over 40 are still in the majority of power positions in the professional world. I know this may be a bias view on my part considering the situation I am in. I find that I attain experience, wisdom and inspiration from all the people I come in contact with. We very rarely as humans take the time to actually talk to a stranger, learn something about someones life that may possibly effect your life at some point.
More and more the older I get and the more people I meet and come in contact with, the more I realize we all have something to give to our neighbor. We just have to stop our busy lives for a minute and talk or listen to our neighbor. For example while at training I met a woman who was very open with her story of how she went through many struggles as a mother of a disabled child. By just talking to this woman and listening to her story I found inspiration. She touched my life and may not even be aware that she did. She gave me strength and hope to get through the struggles I have been facing recently as a mom. I am a true believer that we cross paths of other for a reason, it is a shame if we let that opportunity pass without even saying hello. Speaking of which I was in shock a couple days ago, how many people that I passed in my everyday motions who stopped to say hello. That was very inspiring and hopeful. Faith that we all have the ability to care for one another even it just means saying hello how are you, or holding a door for someone, or saying thank you. Makes me stop and think how many people's lives I have inspired or brightened by sharing a part of me and my story. Hence the reason I decided to start this blog. I am not saying I have all the answers, by no means. But I hope by sharing a part of me I can inspire and help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment